User Roles in CMT
There are three key roles in CMT in a typical conference: Chairs (e.g., Program Committee chairs) who customize and control the workflow of the conference, Authors who submit papers, and Reviewers assigned by the Chair to review the submissions. The activities of a user in each of these roles over the lifecycle of a conference are summarized below.
- Enters conference details: Name, dates, required number of reviews per paper, URL of main conference site, URL of conference logo, etc.
- Adds members to the Program Committee by entering member's email address and optionally entering contact information.
- Starts reviewer bidding process (when paper submission process is over).
- Enters review criteria to build a custom review form.
- Sets the maximum number of papers each PC member is to review (on an individual basis).
- Runs automatic paper assignment tools (after reviewer bidding ends).
- Finalizes paper assignments and notify reviewers.
- Tracks progress of reviewing by reviewer as well as paper.
- Leads reviewer discussion and decides on paper acceptance/rejection.
- Chair may enable 'virtual meeting' which will allow reviewers to view the reviews of all non-conflicting papers even the ones not assigned to them.
- Triggers automatic email to authors notifying them of acceptance (or rejection).
- Configures site to accept camera ready version for accepted papers. Appoints Proceedings Editor to manage camera ready versions.
- Configures site to accept author presentations (slide decks) for accepted papers.
- Enters paper's title, abstract, uploads file(s), specifies conflicts of interest with Program Committee members, and answers questions (configured by program chair).
- Marks which conference subject areas (configured by program chair) the paper addresses
- Enters his/her contact information.
- Enters co-author information.
- Receives confirmation screen which includes a paper ID and the size of the file uploaded.
- Receives notification email for acceptance or rejection (when review process is over).
- Uploads camera ready version for accepted papers.
- Uploads presentations (slide decks) for accepted papers.
- Receives email notification that he/she has been invited for the Program Committee and login information for system
- Logs in to system and is asked to fill in any necessary contact information
- Receives email notification/instructions that bidding process has begun and by when it is to be completed.
- Logs in to system and bids. Reviewers may adjust bids at will until the (Program Chair specified) deadline.
- Receives email notification about the papers he/she is assigned to review, including a link to download papers and submit reviews.
- Reviewers read papers and submit reviews based on the criteria entered by the program chair (e.g., Overall Rating, Comments for the author and the program committee).
- Reviewers discuss/modify reviews with the program chair and/or each other and adjust reviews accordingly until the program chair ends the review process.
- Reviewers may start a discussion thread per paper.
- Reviewers may assign external reviewers to review their assigned papers on their behalf.
- Reviewers may participate in a 'virtual meeting' where they can view the reviews of all non conflict of interest papers even the ones not assigned to them.
Receives invitation via email along
with login information for the
Logs in to the system and fills out
any necessary information (e.g. User
Type, Subject Areas, Conflicts).
bidding process has begun and by
when it is to be completed.
Logs in to the system and may bid
for papers from the Reviewer
Receives email notification about
papers that have been assigned which
can be accessed from Meta reviewer
Suggests reviewers during reviewer
candidate suggestions for assigned
papers if allowed by Chair.
Imports reviewers and assign papers
to reviewers if allowed by Chair.
Monitors reviewing progress, can
rank papers and email reviewers
anonymously regarding assigned
Coordinates review discussions of
papers enabled for discussion by the
Chair when discussion is enabled.
Views all reviews and can post
messages on discussion board for
Views Author Feedback and changes
Paper Status if allowed by Chair.
Provides one meta-review per paper
using meta-review questions
configured by the Chair (e.g.,
Consolidation Report) to help Chairs
with paper decisions.
Note: If assigned as both Reviewer
and Meta-Reviewer for the same paper,
can view and submit review form from the
“Reviewer Console” and meta-review form
from the “Meta-Reviewer Console”.
CMT supports a number of other roles such as Associate Chair (Chair of a track in a multi-track conference), External Reviewer, Meta-Reviewers (coordinate reviewing of a set of papers), Proceedings Editor, Presentation Chair (coordinates presentations of accepted papers), Session Chair, and
Last updated on: November 2015